Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links to products that we use and personally recommend.
At Chinese weddings, flowers are used both for decorations and to symbolize life, happiness, and fertility. These are some popular choices:
- Lilies sound like “happy union for a hundred years” and they also represent having a son.
- Orchids represent happiness, love, and wealth.
- Peonies are a symbol of spring and renewed life.
- Lotus represents the four virtues: scent, purity, softness, and beauty.
- Daffodils are a symbol of life and spring.
Pink and red are the most common colors for flowers. White represents death, so if the bride wants to include white roses in her bouquet, they must be connected with brightly colored ribbons.
Chinese weddings contain so much red that we like using other colors of flowers to mix it up. You should have fun with your flowers and add as much color as you like.
If you choose to have floral centerpieces at a Chinese reception, keep in mind that they will likely be moved when the food is served. You will want to tell the servers in advance where they should put the flowers.
Here are some ideas for incorporating Chinese floral symbolism into your wedding: